AFC SHEPHERD’S PIE
Shepherds led the animals to slaughter. This animal-free Shepherds Pie herds humans away from the animal and into a new world of animal-free cuisine! Yes, this pie fits the cuisine status! Easy to make lets you enjoy exquisite more often! Elegance from a can and a box – can you imagine that! Good!
Preheat oven to 400 degrees
Veggies And Plant Meat Saute:
2 T. extra virgin olive oil
2 c. cut green cabbage, 1/2 inch squares
1 c. diced sweet onion, 1/2 inch squares
1 c. diced green pepper, 1/2 inch squares
1 t. salt
2 c. LIGHTLIFE BEYOND CRUMBLE, thawed
fresh grind black pepper to taste – I like lots
2 t. jarred minced garlic
15.5 oz. can SUGARY SAM SWEET POTATOES in syrup – blend with the liquid from the can in blender container till velvety smooth
1 c. OAT MILK ORIGINAL (if subbing another plant milk, use creamer without coconut or vanilla)
1 c. water
1 t. salt
2 T. margarine – I used Smart Balance
1-1/3 c. Idahoan Instant Potatoes
2-3 T. fresh chopped cilantro
salt to taste
fresh grind black pepper to taste
6.5 oz. cam mushrooms stems and pieces including liquid in can
drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
In extra-large skillet, over medium heat, melt oil.
Add cabbage, onion, green pepper and salt. Saute till tender.
Add plant meat crumble. Stir to distribute.
Cook about 5 minutes, stirring to evenly cook all sides.
Add black pepper as desired, then salt to taste.
Finally add garlic. Stir throughout. Remove from heat and set aside.
- If you’re using fresh garlic, then add it with the veggies, not after the veggies are cooked.
In large saucepan bring oat milk, water, salt and margarine to slow boil.
Remove from heat. Add cilantro and potatoes, stirring till fluffy.
Add blended sweet potatoes and stir till thoroughly incorporated.
Add mushrooms including liquid from can. Stir to evenly distribute.
Salt and pepper to taste.
Place sauted veggie mix in 1-1/2 quart casserole dish – even out the top.
Scoop potatoes in several locations on top of veggie mix, then spread evenly, without mushing it down into the bottom layer. Make a few small swirly peaks.
- We’re not packing a suitcase here; we want to allow for the distribution of steam throughout the dish, okay?
Bake, uncovered, on middle rack in a preheated 400 degree oven for 35 minutes or till top layers of potato are a little crusted and golden or lightly brown-tinged.
Remove from oven and wait about 10 minutes to serve.
Serve with applesauce, green salad or coleslaw.
LIGHTLIFE BEYOND CRUMBLE
BEYOND and LIGHTLIFE beef and sausage crumble. Use as topping for pasta dishes, pizza, salads, tacos!
Makes about 4-5 cups depending on the size of the crumble
- ClipBoard: Beyond Beef products right now are expensive. Lightlife is less expensive. I decide I want the flavors and textures of both in one crumble. I achieve that while lowering the cost per serving.
3 T. extra virgin olive oil
16 oz. Beyond Beef PLANT-BASED GROUND, thawed
14 oz. tube Gimme Lean Meatless Sausage by LIGHTLIFE, thawed
salt and pepper as needed
In extra-large skillet, over medium heat, melt olive oil.
Add BEYOND GROUND, breaking it off into the skillet.
Add GIMME LEAN SAUSAGE, pinching it off into the skillet.
Using a pancake turner, chop and flip to moisten all surfaces with some oil, while making the plant meats crumble into the same size.
- The point is to mix both products, without mashing them. Bring them together loosely.
Keep cooking them till all surfaces are cooked and they resemble a true meat crumble.
- Be careful here that you don’t overcook the crumble making it tough, but you don’t want soft and mushy either. Finesse it. That’s what chefs do.
- BEYOND product will toughen the longer you cook it and become too hard.
- LIGHTLIFE product has more of a soft component that when cooled or refrigerated after it’s cooked softens even more.
- Keep the differences in mind when sauteing this crumble. They’re not equal, which makes for a good crumble.
When done, turn off the heat and let set till the crumble cools to room temperature. Then pack in covered containers and either refrigerate or freeze.
If frozen, I remove them for the freezer and let them stay out for about an hour.
Then I place them in a glass bowl and microwave for 1 minute.
- Check by tasting how the crumble responds to the chew.
Either put it back in the microwave for 30 seconds for further tightening, or not. Microwaves cook up differently depending on wattage.
If you don’t have a microwave, lightly oil a skillet or pan, and once thawed, saute them till hot and they reach the desired texture\tightening – over medium-low heat, uncovered. Covering traps moisture and makes the crumble too soft.
Each time you remove the crumbles from refrigerator\freezer, reheat the same way.